Types of Hotels
Hotel targets many markets and can be classified according to the markets they attempt to attract their guests. Common type of markets include business, airport, suites, residential, resort , timeshare , casino , convention and conference hotels .
- Business Hotels: - These hotels are the largest group of hotel types and they primarily cater to business travellers and usually located in downtown or business districts . Although Business hotels primarily serves business travellers , many tour groups, individual tourists and small conference groups find these hotels attractive. Guest amenities at business hotels may include complimentary newspapers, morning coffee, free local telephone calls , Break fast etc.
- Airport Hotels: - These type of hotels typically target business clientele, airline passengers with overnight travel layovers or cancelled flights and airline crews or staff. Some hotels might give free transport between hotel and airport . Some Ariport hotels also charges the guest by hour instead of normal daily night charges.
- Suite Hotels: - These kind of hotels are the latest trend and the fastest growing segments in the hotel industry . Such hotels have a living room and a separate bedroom. Professionals such as accountants, lawyers, business men and executives find suite hotels particularly attractive as they can work and also entertain in an area besides the bedroom.
- Extended Stay Hotels: - Extended stay hotels is somewhat similar to the suite hotels , but usually offers kitchen amenities in the room . These kind of hotels are for longstayers who wants to stay more than a week and does not want to spend on hotel facilities.
- Serviced Apartments: - Serviced Apartment / Residential hotels provide long-term or permanent accommodation for Guest. Usually guest makes a lease agreement with the hotel for minimum of one month up to a year. Rooms generally include living room , bedroom, kitchen , private balcony , washing machines , kitchen utensils etc. Unlike normal hotels Serviced apartment only provide weekly one housekeeping service.
- Resort Hotels: - Resort hotels are usually located in the mountains, on an island , or in some other exotic locations away from city's . These hotels have recreational facilities , scenery , golf , tennis , sailing , skiing and swimming . Resort hotels provide enjoyable and memorable guest experiences that encourage guest to repeat to the resort.
- Bed and Breakfast / Homestays :- These are houses with rooms converted into overnight facilities , this can size up to 1 to 10 guest rooms . They are also known as 'Home Stay's'. The owner of the B&B usually stay on the premises and is responsible for serving breakfast to guest .
- Timeshare / Vacation Rentals: - Another new type or segment of the hospitality industry is the timeshare hotels. These are sometimes referred to as " Vacation-interval" hotels . Timeshare hotels are where the guests who purchase the ownership of accommodations for a specific period.These owners may also have the unit rented out by the management company that operates the hotel.
- Casino Hotels :- Hotels with gambling facilities are called Casino Hotels .Although the food and beverage operations in casino is luxurious their functions is secondary to and supportive of casino operations.
- Conference and Convention Centres: - These type of hotels focus on meeting and conferences and overnight accommodation for meeting attendees. They also provide video confrencing facility, audiovisual equipments, business services , flexible seating arrangements , flipchart etc. These hotels mostly located outside the metropolitan areas and have facilities like golf , swimming pools , tennis courts , fitness centres , spas etc.